Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What can you tell us about your days with The Unabomber?

We see it all the time. Hollywood actors, and all other forms of celebrities, pull publicity stunts and the public is fooled by it. From Britney Spears' "I'm still a virgin" claim while dating Justin Timberlake (look how successful those two have been), to Kim Kardashian and Ray J's sex tape (both have their own TV shows now), to Joaquin Phoenix's brilliant performance on the David Letterman show two months ago, celebrities and their publicists have a fantastic way of creating a buzz about themselves. The funny thing is, it works. While I realize that Phoenix's stunt came two months ago, I feel like it was such a great piece of acting that it has to be revisited. Here's the video of Joaquin's genius work on the show, which he should be given an Oscar for:



This appearance on the Late Show sparked controversy over whether Phoenix was stumbling down the same path to drug overdose as his brother, River. The result: generous attention for a man trying to start a new career in Hip-Hop. For a man with such a storied acting career (see Gladiator, Hotel Rwanda, and Walk the Line), such a change might seem odd. My take on it is that he simply got bored with acting. Just as Lil Wayne is attempting to evolve the rap game to include more rock music, Phoenix needs a new challenge. I recently found a video of him rapping, which is supposedly produced by Diddy (I fear that might be another publicity stunt). While his rapping talent is underwhelming, there are some pretty funny lines that he spits, "My rap career, sure it might be dyin', but it beats workin' with M. Night Shymalayan" Enjoy:



While Phoenix's emceeing is certainly entertaining (I will absolutely be checking out his upcoming documentary, directed by Casey Affleck, which will chronicle his transition from acting to the music business), I figured I wouldn't leave you without some legitimate music. As I said in my first post, I have become a big fan of Japanese artist, Shinichi Osawa. His electro beats are uplifting, innovative, and simply have the ability to put a smile on your face. Here's a link to download a half hour mega mix I found of his:

http://rcrdlbl.com/artists/Shinichi_Osawa/track/Off_The_Rocker

Happy listening

No comments:

Post a Comment